29 Jul Fort Canning Park
Whether you’re a history buff, music fan or nature lover, this historic landmark on a hill presents something for everyone. More than just a green space, Fort Canning Park is a gateway to fascinating historical insights and relics from the 1960s. The park is a verdant space surrounded by 18th century gates and structures, presenting as a popular venue for stage performances and classical music concerts. Located in the heart of Fort Canning, the lawn’s gentle slopes makes it the perfect natural auditorium for beloved events like Shakespeare in the Park and Ballet Under The Stars.
This iconic park has witnessed many of Singapore’s historical milestones. The hill once sited the palaces of 14th century Kings and served as the Headquarters of the Far East Command Centre and British Army Barracks in the 1930s. The decision to surrender Singapore to the Japanese on 15 February 1942 was also made on the hill, in the Underground Far East Command Centre, commonly known as Battle Box.
With the rich historical architecture sitting in a green setting, it is of no wonder that Fort Canning Park is an attractive spot where Singaporeans and tourists visit, for a natural and historical experience amidst the bustling urban landscape in Singapore.
This picture is a spiral staircase underground crossing in Fort Canning Park. At the end of the tunnel, if you look up, you will see the circle shaped chimney with the golden yellow leaves tree and the green ivy cover around the chimney. With the bright blue sky as a background, it is the perfect amalgamation of a man-made and natural landscape.
What do you think this place smells like?
One way to find out is to go there! Fret not, we have found the fastest route for you to get there :
1. Alight from Dhoby Ghaut MRT take Exit A
2. You will see Plaza Singapura on your left
3. Walk towards Park Mall then turn left
4. Keep walking until you see the entrance to Fort Canning Park right beside the Park Mall (on the left of Park Mall if you are facing the mall).
5. You will come across the dragon head pond and walk along the way up the slope
6. You will walk into the tunnel which is the walkway connected between Fort canning park and Penang Road
7. Viola! The tunnel will eventually lead to the spiral staircase where you can take a breath of fresh air